Christian cave chapel at Vidyavanam ashram, Bangalore District
Vidyavanam Ashram is an Indian Christian Spirituality Centre situated off Bannerghatta Road, outside Bangalore, India. The Chapel itself is a cave, following Indian tradition where holy men meditated within the womb of nature.
If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.
Francis of Assisi
Christian principles of eco-justice
Many theologians from the different Christian denominations all over the world are articulating notions like stewardship and inter-connectedness in relation to the earth. The notion that human beings are justified in dominating and plundering the earth is totally unacceptable. (Editor's note)
Here is a list of six eco-justice principles that may guide us in our interpretation of the Bible:
- The principle of intrinsic worth: The universe, Earth and all its components have intrinsic worth/value.
- The principle of interconnectedness: Earth is a community of interconnected living things that are mutually dependent on each other for life and survival.
- The principle of voice: Earth is a subject capable of raising its voice in celebration and against injustice.
- The principle of purpose: The universe, Earth and all its components are part of a dynamic cosmic design within which each piece has a place in the overall goal of that design.
- The principle of mutual custodianship: Earth is a balanced and diverse domain where responsible custodians can function as partners with, rather than rulers over, Earth to sustain its balance and its diverse Earth community.
- The principle of resistance: Earth and its components not only suffer from injustices at the hands of humans, but actively resist them in the struggle for justice.